Thursday, February 22, 2007

Chickpeas # Chilli & Star Anise Pork

Dinner was pork cooked in a way I think is common to the Phillipines and to China. I don't think I'm being all that authentic in my translation when I cook it, but it's delicious. Pork cubes are braised in a mixture of dark & light soy, palm sugar, star anise, cinnamon sticks and lots of garlic. I put a little water in to stop it getting too thick before the meat is tender.
It makes this dark thick glaze that is just lovely.

It is rich, so I made chickpeas with tomato, chilli, garlic, chopped boy-choy & fresh turmeric to offset it. That only took about 5 minutes in a small pan on the stove-top.

You can hardly see the greens at all in the chickpeas above, they shrink down to nothing when you cook them. Miffy seemed impressed to know that a goodly serving of Asian greens can provide up to 75% of the RDI of calcium. Not bad for a vegetable.

I was going to do rice but everyone wanted rotu telur. The frozen roti from the Asian grocer are great, but nothing like the real thing. However... I cook it on one side, in a lightly greased pan, crack an egg over the top, lightly break it, and add some slivers of red onion and a bit of salt. Flip it over, and cook until the egg is cooked. Miffy and Eric always order roti telur along with their roti cani when we go to Malaysia. I prefer mine plain, but then I've never been a huge egg fan. Eggs = windy tummy for me...

No comments: